Thursday 22 July 2010

Gadgets or homework? Am I old-fashioned??

One of the problems with gadgets (mobile phones, iPods, blackberries) is that we can't leave them alone! As a mum, I was often concerned about how my children could focus on their studies when they were, at the same time, listening to their iPod, responding to the ringtone of the next text coming in, or every 3 minutes checking Messenger or Facebook to see if a friend had contacted them. I used to ask them 'How can you concentrate on writing an essay when you interrupt yourself every minute to respond to someone else? How can you focus on your work when you're listening to loud rock music?' They told me I was old-fashioned, and that it was easy - hadn't I heard of 'multi-tasking' ? 'Oh yes,' I would reply. 'I do it all the time with practical jobs, but not when I'm studying or reading!'

What do you think? Does studying needs full concentration? Or do gadgets help? Let us know your ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment